Monday, September 18, 2006

Never question my commas

Anonymous decided to take me to task on my use of commas.

Dear anonymous, pick up a book once in a while. You can start with this one.

Taken from THE LITTLE, BROWN COMPACT HANDBOOK, fourth edition by Jane E. Aaron

Page 244. The Comma

Main uses of the comma

• To separate main clauses linked by a coordinating conjunction (opposite).
Main clause , {for and or so but nor yet} main clause .
Ex The building is finished, but it has no tenants.

• To set off most introductory elements (opposite).
Introductory element , main clause .
Ex Unfortunately, the only tenant pulled out.

• To set off nonessential elements.
Main clause , nonessential element .
Ex The empty building symbolizes a weak local economy, which affects everyone.

Beginning of main clause , nonessential element , end of main clause .
Ex The Primary cause, the decline of the local economy, is not news.

• To separate items in a series.
item 1 , item 2 , {and or} item 3
Ex The city needs healthier businesses, new schools, and improved housing.

• To separate coordinate adjectives.
first adjective , second adjective , word modified
Ex A tall, sleek skyscraper is not needed.


There are other uses of the comma illustrated in this book. However this should be enough to get ‘anonymous’ started.

Learn it, love it, live it.

4 Comments:

At Monday, September 18, 2006 3:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touche my dear!

I don't doubt for a second that you have a wealth of knowledge concerning all matters literary.

I simply object to the 'I-know-it-all-I'm-the-King-of-the-English-language' attitude. It is most unattractive and seriously detracts attention from the many qualities I am most sure you possess.

I also object slightly to your assumption that I don not make reading a regular occurance. This is a huge misjudgement of my character!

(I also notice that you chose to focus on only one issue of the few I brought up in my response...I can only assume that perhaps a kernel of truth existed in the rest of my comment...?)

I am very pleased, however, that I managed to stir such a prompt response from you. :)

Once again, thanks for lending your eyes to little old me.

Sincerely,
K.

 
At Monday, September 18, 2006 3:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I have indeed noticed the 'don not' mistake in my comment. How silly of me!

 
At Monday, September 18, 2006 4:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please allow me to break the ice:

Rich old uncle, you are indeed arguing (or debating) with a seventeen year old A Level student, who is situated in Greater London, England.

Yes, this, dear, is what you're up against. I suggest this role you play of being some kind of critique of the un-aware blogger must stop.

1-0 to England, once again.

Emily. (a mere commentator, but also a friend of the opponent)

 
At Monday, September 18, 2006 4:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me again! I just wanted to add that, using the very extract that you have applied to your own argument, your blog name 'Rich Old Uncle' should, in fact, be 'Rich, Old Uncle'.
I dare you to tell me I am wrong on that one, my friend!

K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home